Thursday, May 1, 2008

Joseph's Dreamcoat

Since graduating college in ‘98 I have worn many coats along with many new titles. The coats and titles pushed me down various paths, some paved and some pretty dusty.

There is a light inside my soul, pilot to blazing, that propels me to follow His radical love. Throughout the years, the coats have changed, the titles have been replaced and even the grass has withered but the thirst and hunger still burns.

Joseph was a dreamer and had a coat of many colors. Dejected, denied and pissed upon by his own family, Joseph responded (foreshowed) in a radically different path-one of peace, forgiveness, grace and love. Joseph’s ascension from the pit/grave of death arose to use his dexterity/foolishness converting his throne of power into a distribution center of forgiveness, unconditional love and food.

Joseph, I dream too, and have worn various coats and also wish to convert things of this world for His folly. To much chagrin I’m also much like your brothers and guilty of throwing soil over the head of family members (my Father) by desiring paths of selfishness/greed/power/death in pursuit of living my own life.

‘My own life’ sounds laden with cultural implications and religious abominations-that this is my time, my world, my right, my way. All these coats that I have donned along with the various titles that follow my name seem to fail in comparison to my birth-right title: little christ follower.

What coat will I wear next? What title will I hold and more importantly what path will I follow? Do all these things-appearance/occupation/lifestyle/desire reflect the life that the lover of the world asks of me?

What pin is on my lapel/coat? What flag is pinned in my heart? Why am I so easily swayed by the currents of this world? The trends and undertows of this world seem remarkably different than the swaying flow of Joseph’s coat-lture. Grant me the courage to live this dream. Grant me the will to die to things of the grave and become alive with a new title: little christ follower.